Today I want to share with you one of my recent favourites, red palm oil.
Native red palm oil is certified Organic, Non-GMO and Fair Trade. Native partners with Natural Habitats™ to ensure that no deforestation or habitat destruction results from the growing or harvesting process. Till Monday 10 am PST you can order all Nutive products on iHerb with 10% discount
Red palm oil is the nutrition-packed beneficial fat source that can supply number of health benefits to the body.
It is a natural source of vitamin E & carotenoids in addition to fatty acids and other essential fat-soluble micronutrients.
Palm oil gets its red color from the carotenes beta-carotene and lycopene, the same nutrients that give color to carrots and tomatoes. Its carotene levels are 15 times higher than carrots and 300 times higher than tomatoes. This is why palm oil is the best source of beta-carotene and alpha-carotene, both of which are precursors to vitamin A.
The most active and important form of carotenoids is beta-carotene, which is an effectual antioxidant that helps to strengthen the immune system of body and to decrease the risk of cataract, heart disease and cancer.
Beta-carotene helps to promote good vision and has the potential to get converted into vitamin A that helps the night vision pigment in the eye’s retina.
Beta-carotene has been also shown to help defend the lungs from disease.
Palm oil is a rich source of Vitamin E (tocopherols & tocotrienols). Actually, no other vegetable oil contains vitamin E in comparison to palm oil.
Vitamin E is a powerful anti-oxidant that decreases the harmful oxygen species (free radicals) in the body.
By this way, palm oil helps to protect person from some chronic diseases as well as delay the ageing process of the body. It strengthens the body’s
Uses of Palm Oil
Some of the uses of red palm oil include:
- Cooking oil: Similar to coconut oil, palm oil is resistant to heat compared to other vegetable oils. Its stability also makes it easy to store at room temperature for many months.
- Tasty ingredient: Palm oil is used as an ingredient in soups and sauces, or as flavoring in certain dishes.
- Dietary supplement: Palm oil has a superior nutrient profile that makes it useful for supplementation.4
- Personal care and household products: Palm oil is added to soaps and detergents, cosmetics, and other household products.5
- Skin moisturizer: Due to its nutrient-dense profile, palm oil is beneficial for skin health. It is added to a number of skin care products.
- "Sunblock": With its high levels of carotenes, red palm oil provides protection as a commercial sunblock with SPF15, but without the dangerous components.