iHerb carries more than 300 fish oil supplements different manufacturers.
How to choose fish supplement and what look for
- Read what amount of total omega-3 it contains per serving. If you don’t eat at least two servings of fatty fish per week it should be 1000mg per day or even greater than that if you train regularly or are physically active. Pay attention to the serving size that corresponds to the listed nutrition content. If you require a higher dose of fish oil you may want to seek out a more concentrated product in order to minimize the number of pills required.
- Consider the percentage of EPA and DHA that the omega-3 is in. EPA and DHA are the most important for good health
- Look for is the form of the EPA and DHA- it could be triglycerides, ethyl ester or phospholipid The most bioavailable forms of omega-3 are triglycerides, which have been proven in studies to be up to 50% more bioavailable compared with other forms.
- Third party certifications- The International Fish Oil Standards (IFOS) Program sertificate. The oil derived from fish may contain high concentrations of contaminants such as heavy metals, , dioxins, PCBs and furans. These contaminants can have severe health effects, and it is important to ensure they are as low as possible. IFOS is the only program that tests fish oil products by batch/lot number to ensure that they do not contain harmful levels of these contaminants.
Brands certified by IFOS on iHerb
Omega 800 fish soft gels
1. Total 1000 mg per serving and serving size is one softgel
2. 80% EPA/DHA
3. Preferred Triglyceride Form
4. German Processed Fish Oil Concentrate¹ - IFOS Certified with 5 Star Rating
Get $5 discount on your first purchase via link or link above